Category Hints & Tips
A handful of pests relish the summer months - mosquitoes, stinging insects, cockroaches, ants, and flies. Ants are the most frequent home invaders. All these pests enter our homes in search of food, water, and shelter. They usually wander around at night so it's important to get rid of your pet's food and water source before retiring to bed.
Here are some helpful tips to keep these pests out of your home:
- eliminate food sources - seal all your food containers and don't leave dirty dishes in the sink
- clean the kitchen surfaces daily to remove the scent of food trails - even the smallest food morsel or a sticky substance can attract ants or other insects
- spray lemon juice or vinegar along the path where ants are entering, or try mix 1/4 cup of white vinegar, 2 cups of water, and 10 drops of eucalyptus and spray the infested area
- get rid of stagnant water
- regularly clean furniture and vacuum carpets
- don't leave rubbish inside - take it out daily
- cockroaches detest bay leaves - lay theses under the sink, behind the toilet, alongside the fridge, or in other places where they may lurk
- burn citronella candles to keep mosquitoes and flies away if you are dining outside
- mint-flavored mouthwash can help repel mosquitoes - spray your tables and chairs outside and patio perimeter
- create a fly trap by filling a glass with apple cider vinegar, a tablespoon of dishwashing liquid, and the rest with warm water - the flies will fly in but won't fly out
If pests are still invading your home, then check for small spaces or gaps - get these sealed to prevent further infestations. Contact a professional pest controller - an experienced company will be able to monitor and treat your pests in your home using non-toxic solutions that keep your children safe.